- Annual Lecture Series: "What Kind of Cancer Did You Have? (And other Unanswerable Questions)"
Friday, November 6, 2015
Anya Plutynski, Washington U. St Louis
3:30 pm, 817 Cathedral of Leraning
Carnegie Mellon University Philosophy Colloquium
James Owen Weatheral (University of California, Irvine)
"On Stuff: The Field Concept in Classical and Quantum Physics"
CMU, Doherty Hall, Room 1212, Monday, November 30, 2015, 3:30pm - 5:15pm
Graduate Program in Classics, Philosophy and Ancient Science
Ralph M. Rosen's Lecture:
"Anatomy and Aporia in Galen's On the Construction of Fetuses"
206 Cathedral of Learning, FRIDAY, November 20, 2015, 3:30 pm
Conference: Robustness in Neurological Systems
Friday-Sunday, November 13-15
817, Cathedral of Learning
Center for Philosophy of Science
"Experience, Expertise and Induction: Aristotle on the Domain Specificity
A VIDEO taped lecture by Jim Lennox at The Marquette University, Friday 2, October 2015
- "1,3,5,7...What's Next?" John D. Norton explains... You are invited to his Inaugural LECTURE, November, 5, 4:00 pm. Posvar Hall, Room 2500. Reception to follow.
Paul Snowdon, this year's Pitt-London Consortium Visitor, will be with us during the week of October 19. Welcome!
Event Announcement: Found in Translation: A Conference on the World History of Science circa 1200—1600 CE
The University of Pittsburgh
CMU Philosophy Colloquium
Nate Charlow (University of Toronto)
"The Meaning of Imperatives"
Monday, October 12, 2015, 3:30pm – 5:20pm
Doherty Hall Room 1212, Carnegie Mellown University
Coming up: 2015 Nicholas Rescher Prize for Systematic Philosophy
October 9, 2015 - 2:00pm
- Mazviita Chirimuuta talks with Carrie Figdor about her research and her book Outside Color in the latest podcast from New Books in Philosophy.
- Edouard Machery is organizing a workshop on The Geography of Philosophy - Knowledge, Person, Wisdom (October 3-4, center for Humanities). More information on the website. Please register if interested.
Jianhua Mei, HPS Visiting Scholar
Monica Livier Aguilar Martinez, HPS Visiting Scholar
Guillaume Schlaepfer, HPS Visiting Scholar
Danielle Hallet, HPS Visiting Scholar
Markus Kneer, HPS Postdoc
S. Andrew Inkpen, HPS Visiting Assistant Professor
- Edouard Machery will be the Scots Philosophical Association Centenary Fellow in Edinburgh (2015-16) and a Regular Visiting Distinguished Professor at Eidyn (Edinburgh) for the next 3 years!
- Tawrin Baker will be joining HPS as the Mellon Postdoc in the History of Science for 2015-2016. His PhD is from Indiana University and he will be working on his book project on optics, anatomy and theories of colour in the 16th and 17th centuries. In the Spring he will be teaching a graduate seminar on his research, provisionally titled, "Chiasmata: Sixteenth and Seventeenth Century Physicians, Philosophers, and Mathematicians on Vision, Color, and the Eye." Welcome, Tawrin!
- Elizabeth O'Neill and Edouard Machery's collection Current Controversies in Experimental Philosophy is reviewed by Yuri Cath in Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews. Cath writes: "This is a very good collection. If you're at all interested in experimental philosophy you will want to get your hands on a copy." The volume is available now in all good (and bad) bookshops.
- Sandy Mitchell and Jim Woodward are interviewed in the latest issue of The Reasoner.
Links to archived news can be found above in the right column.