Applicants for admission to the graduate program in History and Philosophy of Science should have a suitable undergraduate degree and some knowledge of the natural or social sciences. Candidates should provide evidence of aptitude in history and philosophy of science and an interest in the interdisciplinary study of science. Familiarity with a particular science is an advantage, as is previous research experience in HPS and areas related to it. The writing sample should demonstrate the author’s analytical skills, their potential for creative research and some familiarity with the existing literature. Applicants are very welcome to visit the department to meet and talk with faculty and graduate students. Arrangements can be made through the HPS administrative office.
Applications must be submitted online. The University of Pittsburgh no longer accepts paper applications. (Detailed instructions given below.)
Applicants should familiarize themselves with the information on this site, and especially with the Graduate Handbook, before applying.
The deadline for completed applications is January 10.
A complete application consists of the following:
- Completed online application form
- Application fee ($50)
- Transcripts of previous academic work
- Three letters of recommendation
- Aptitude scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Statement of career objectives
- One sample of written work
- TOEFL or IELTS scores (International applicants who are non-native English speakers)
Note: The required minimum TOEFL score of 90 (with at least a score of 22 in all of the four sections of speaking, listening, reading and writing) will be required for 2014-2015 applicants. TOEFL scores submitted must not be more than two years old. The required minimum IELTS score of 7.0 (with at least 6.5 in each of its four sections) will be required for 2014-2015 applicants. IELTS scores submitted must not be more than two years old. Make sure to take the TOEFL or IELTS in time for official scores to be reported by the January 10 deadline.
Please note the following points:
- Application fee ($50 US) payment made electronically along with the online application, or by mailing a check to the HPS Department. Make check to the “University of Pittsburgh”.
- Official school transcripts to be uploaded under “Additional Information-Upload Documents”.
- Letters of reference to be submitted electronically by your referees online. Directions on the Main Menu.
- GRE Scores submitted must not be more than five years old. The GRE should be taken soon enough for results to reach the HPS Department before January 10. The test scores must be sent electronically by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to the University of Pittsburgh. The University of Pittsburgh institution code is 2927 and the department code for History and Philosophy of Science [or HPS] is 2703.
- Your Statement of Career objectives should be added to the online application in the "additional information" section. Please tell us anything you think may be relevant to our decision on your application.
- One sample of your written work to be submitted electronically online with your application preferably or you may e-mail it to Joann McIntyre, HPS Department Secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org)